The Department of Physics was established in the year 1958 with UG Course. PG and Ph.D. Programmes were started in 1991 and 1992, respectively. The aim of the Department since its inception has been to provide up to date learning resources to our students to meet the requirement of quality manpower in Physics for teaching, research, and other fields.
The Department offers B.Sc. M.Sc., and Ph.D. programmes. Semester System Under CBCS has been adopted in both UG and PG Courses from the session 2015-16. There are total 11 sanctioned strength of faculty members in the Department.
The Department has excellent state-of-art laboratories for the undergraduate and postgraduate teaching as well as for research. The Department follows the best teaching practices in the core area of Physics with a motto of learner-centric teaching and gives exposure to the students about the latest research through project and dissertation. The Department has state of the art computing facilities. The sophisticated experimental facilities of the Department include, RF/DC-Sputtering unit, Keithley Semiconductor Characterization System, DSC unit, LCR meter, UV-Vis-IR Spectrophotometer, Glove box, Solar simulator, Spectrum Analyzer, Dust Sampler, Electric Field Simulator, Atmospheric Aerosol Meter, etc.
The Department’s continuous stride in teaching and research excellence over many years has been duly acknowledged by the Department of Science & Technology, New Delhi resulting in the endowment of financial assistances through FIST (2012-2017). Just for a glimpse, during last five years (2015-2020), the faculty members have published more than 80 research papers in international journals and produced more than 20 Ph.Ds.
To be a knowledge center of Pure and Applied Physics
- To offer globally-relevant and research-focused education at the graduate, postgraduate and research levels in various areas of Physical Sciences to produce manpower excellent in quality, relevant to the global scientific and technological needs, motivated to give its best and is committed to the growth of the Nation.
- To develop and conduct programmes for Science Graduates with a view to update their fundamental knowledge base and problem-solving capabilities in the various areas of Physics and in core specialization of GKV.
- To develop comprehensive linkages with premier academic and research institutions within the country and abroad for mutual benefit.
- Well equipped with UG, PG, Research Labs
- Computational & Networking facility.
- Departmental Library having more than 3000 text and reference books with reading room facility.
- Small workshop facility for circuit designing.
- The students undergo Minor project, Seminar and dissertation at PG Level.
- Dissertation in the final semester of M.Sc. Course
- One compulsory paper Physics & Vedic Thoughts at P.G. Level to provide the exposure to the students about ancient Indian Science.
- Research collaboration with IIT Delhi, NPL New Delhi, CEERI Pilani, CTS IIT Kharagpur, CTP JMI, New Delhi, University of Zurich (Switzerland), ARIES Nainital, North-West University, South Africa and University of Free State, South Africa.
- Guest lectures and invited lectures are regularly organized by the department for P.G. & Research students. Also the video (NPTEL) lectures are shown to students in between in addition to the ppt presentations.
- Departmental teachers actively participate in various extension activities like Science Popularization, DST-INSPIRE Camps, National Children Science Congress and conducting of National Level Physics Examinations viz. NGPE, NSEs etc. every year.
The Department received financial assistance with a total outlay of Rs. 81 lakhs in 2012 for five years under the DST FIST (Level I) programme supported by the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India