Department of Computer Science has emerged as one of the noteworthy places for imparting Computer education in northern part of the country. Since its inception, the department underwent phenomenal growth in the number of students, faculty, computational resources and infrastructural facilities. The focus of the department has been to prepare quality manpower to cater to the needs of computer professionals for software industry, academic and research organizations. The passed-out students are placed adequately in academic, research & development institutes as well as in professional organizations engaged in software development. The department emphases on learning through an optimum blend of self-discipline, practice and guidance. Invited lectures from experts are arranged time to time to augment the knowledge of students. The faculty members are enthusiastic, cooperative and well acquainted. They do participate in various academic activities and are actively engaged in research and development.
The department has a rich library, adequate computing and other necessary resources along with significant teaching – learning infrastructural facilities. The department has two dedicated labs for its students apart from the centralized computing facility being provided by the Computer Centre of the institution. The departmental library caters to the specific needs of its students who can also avail the facilities of the Central library of the institution.
- One of the oldest department running Master of Computer Application programme in northern India.
- Holistic environment for learners to excel.
- Excellent infrastructure, labs and faculty profile.
- Curriculum is updated regularly to prepare and facilitate students for placements opportunities in academic, R&D organizations and software industry.
- Strong alumni support.
The department came into existence in 1988 with the commencement of Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Applications (PGDCA). In the same year, Computer Science was introduced as a subject at the graduate level giving rise to a new stream with the subject combination Physics, Computer Science and Mathematics which became quite popular in subsequent years.
After successful completion of five years of PGDCA, University Grants Commission, New Delhi accorded the approval of upgrading PGDCA to MCA in 1993 under the UGC-DOE joint Manpower Training programme in Computer Science and Technology. The research programme leading to Ph. D. in Computer Science was started in the session 1998-1999.
- To excel as a Knowledge Centre in the field of computer education, training and research.
- To prepare well-qualified computer professionals for the software industry, academic and research organizations by imparting holistic education using state-of-the-art technology.
- To provide quality knowledge to students through teacher-learner relationship based on the age-old Gurukula system of education.
- To involve in quality research activities and earn research projects.
- To analyze and improve ourselves in a continuous process of learning.
- To develop new avenues/ programmes and explore the possibility of global tie-ups.
- To involve in multiple disciplinary learning and research opportunities available across the university leading to consultancy projects.