- UV Visible Spectrophotometer: It is equipped with deuterium lamp which emits UV light. Absorption maxima used by it falls between 200 nm to 1000 nm.
- Fermentors: Three two automated of Sartorius with working volume 5.0 litres with additional autoclave, chillers and compressor and one of Scigenics, Chennai of 3 litre capacity used to produce secondary metabolites and microbial cell mass.
- PCR: A Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) Machine of Eppendorf, Germany, and one of Bangalore Genie is available for amplification of desired genes.
- Gel Electrophoreses: It is used for separation of restriction fragments of DNA. The bands formed are visualised under UV light.
- Olympus Microscope with Image analyzer: An Olympus Microscope is equipped with image analyzer which is fitted with computer. Picture of live microbial cells or fungal mycelium observed under microscope can be restored in computer for further studies.
- Deep freezer: A Freezer that maintains -20°C temperature is available in the lab.
- Refrigerated Centrifuge: In this centrifuge Temperature of vessel does not rise.
- Heraeus- Vostsch Plant Growth Chamber: It provides controlled environmental conditions like heat, humidity and light intensity and can be used for tissue culture and micropopagation of endangered biota like orchids.
- Orion Ion Analyzer: It is used to detect certain elements in the form of ions such as chloride, bromide and iodine etc. in the water samples by dipping respective electrodes.
- Olympus Microscope with Photographic attachment: Microorganisms and internal structure of the Plants can be observed under different magnification including under immersion lens oil lens that gives maximum magnifications. The photograph can be taken with the help of photographic attachments.
- Other equipments available in the lab: UV- VIS Spectrophotometer (Shimandzu), HPLC Shimadzu LC(10a), Olympus Microscope with Photographic attachment, Image Analysis system (Bio-Vis), PCR (PTC100), Electrophoretic Unit (Bangalore-Genei). Gas Chromatograph (Nucon), Lyophilizer Gel Documentation (Vilber).
- Other Facilities: C. Seminar Hall with L.C.D and Sound system.
- In Reference Library: A good Collection of academic books and Journals, Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, Current Science, Nature, Current Content, Scientific American, Departmental Library and Central Library.
|S.No.||Generic Name of Equipment||Model||Make|
|4||ELISA Reader||1575, i- Mark||BIORAD|
|5||Fermenter||MMF 06024 DS||Scigenics, India|
|6||Freeze Dryer (Lyophilizer)||ALPHA 1-2LD||Martin Christ, Germany|
|7||Gradient PCR||22331- Hamburg||Eppendorf, Germany|
|8||Thermal Cycler||PTC 100||MJ Research, USA|
|9||UV-Vis spectrophotometer||UV-1601||Shimadzu, Japan|
|10||Anaerobic Jar||LE 002||Himedia, India|
|11||Cooling Incubator||CIM-6S||Remi, India|
|12||Deep Freeze (–200C)||RQFV-170||Remi, India|
The department has two smart classrooms with LCD projectors, one practical laboratory for
M.Sc. students and one laboratory for Research Scholars.
The department has the following instrumentation facility for M.Sc. students and
- Elisa Reader
- Spectrophotometer UV
- Laminar Air Flow
- Shaker Rota Evaporator
- Vertical Autoclave
- Vacuum pump
- Hot Plate
- Electric centrifuge
- Water Bath
- Colony Counter
- Distillation Unit
- Electric Balance
- Vortex Mixer
- Binocular Microscope
- BOD Incubator
- pH meter
- Hot Air Oven
- Gel Electrophoresis Unit
- Shaking Incubator
- Deep Freezer
- Cooling Centrifuge
- Kjeldhal Distillation Unit