The department of Zoology was established in 1961 with undergraduate level teaching. Postgraduate course in Microbiology was started along with department of Botany in 1984 with the recommendation of U.G.C. visiting committee during five –year plan. In 1995 UGC granted M.Sc. Environmental Science course to the Department (now called Department of Zoology and Environmental Science).
The Department has been awarded DST-FIST and UGC-SAP grants on account of its excellent academic contribution.
Faculty members of the department are the members of International scientific bodies and regularly contributing to highlight the Indian science at global level.
Almost every year the faculty of the department is invited/participating in international conferences abroad.
One of the faculty acted as Sectional President of Animal Veterinary and Fisheries Section of the prestigious national scientific body i.e. Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA), Kolkata.
The faculty of the department is contributing significantly to the development of environmental science by publishing their research findings in reputed national/international/impact factor journals (126 publications during last 5 years).
So far faculty have published 35 text/reference books.
- The department has organized Two International and Tweleve national conferences/workshops during last five years.
- The department has some sophisticated instruments also such as A.A.S., weather station, UV Visual Spectrophotmeter, Digital Instruments for water and soil testing etc.
- Major research projects are run by almost every faculty of the department (10 Major Projects during last five years).
- Rich collection of text and reference books in the departmental library.
- Collaborative research with Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China is being initiated in the field of avian fauna, phylogeny and phylogeography.
- Some faculty are acting as reviewer of International/ Impact factor journals.
- Some faculty are member of various MoEF/UGC/DST/ UCOST expert committees.
- Two post doc students have been awarded research project under DST fast track scheme.
- Two research students have been awarded Uttarakhand State Science Congress Young Scientist Award.
- Our research scholars/post doc students have also presented their findings in international conferences abroad.
- Eighteen students of the department have qualified UGC/CSIR NET.
- Some faculties of the department are acting as editor-in-chief/editor of national journals.
- The department has well furnished/equipped conference hall to organize national and international meetings.
- A total of 125 research students have been awarded Ph.D. degree so far.
- At present the department has Environmental Microbiology lab., Avian Diversity and Bioacoustics Lab., Insect Biodiversity and Air pollution lab., Aquatic biodiversity Lab., Ecological Modeling Lab. and Limnological Research Lab.