Gurukula Kangri Vishwavidyalaya was founded on March 4, 1902 by Swami Shraddhanandaji with the sole aim to revive the ancient Indian Gurukula System of education, on the bank of Ganges at a distance of about 6 km. from Hardwar and about 200 km. from Delhi. This institution was established with the objective of providing an indigenous alternative to Lord Macaulay’s education policy by imparting education in the areas of vedic literature, Indian philosophy, Indian culture, modern sciences and research.It is a deemed to be university fully funded by UGC/Govt. of India.
Arya Samaj has been advocating women’s education since the day it was founded. As part of its policies for the upliftment of women in the country, Kanya Gurukula Campus, Dehradun was established in 1922 by Acharya Ramdevji as a second campus of women’s education. To give real shape to the dreams of Swami Shraddhanandaji, Kanya Gurukula Campus, Hardwar was established in 1993.
Gurukula has witnessed many distinguished guests in its journey to date. To name a few of them are Mr. C.F. Andrews, Former Prime Minister of Britain, Mr. Remjy Mcdonald, Mahatma Gandhi, Pt. Madan Mohan Malviya, Dr. Rajendra Prasad, Dr. Radha Krishnan, Sh. Jamnalal Bajaj, Dr. Munje, Sadhu Vaswani, Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru, Smt. Indira Gandhi and Sh.Gyani Jail Singh, Sh.L.K.Advani and recently in 2011 Smt.Meira Kumar, Speaker Lok Sabha visited the Vishwavidyalaya.
To impart technical education and make technocrats with ethics Faculty of Engineering & Technology (FET) was established in 2000 which currently runs four disciplines Computer Science and Engineering, Electronics & Communication Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering, the lush green campus of FET is situated 5 km milestone from the main campus on National Highway.
Kanya Gurukul Campus, Haridwar, is the women campus of the Gurukul Kangri Vishwavidyalaya. It was established in 1992 with the aim to enhance physical, moral and intellectual strengths of women, through the education of modern and ancient subjects. The PG courses offered by the campus are in twelve subjects such as Chemistry, Physics, Environment science, Microbiology, Environment Technology, Maths in Sciences and life sciences; Sanskrit, Hindi, English, Psychology, Ancient History and Archeology and Philosophy in Oriental studies and Humanities. The Ph.D. Programmes are also available in the above said subjects except environmental technology. From this year undergraduate course of BPES is started in the campus. In the span of its 27 years, the campus has gained the status of a leading academic institute in nearby areas of Haridwar. Campus is spread in 4 acres area of about four across which consists of Administrative block, Science block, Arts block, a campus library and a computer center. Along with academic facilities, campus consist of Yajanashala, two halls for multidisciplinary activities, canteen and play ground. In the campus student get personal support through the auspicious “Garbhastha Chattra” System of Gurukul. Students also get placement in various companies and institutes of repute through University placement call. The scholarships like, Inspire, CSIR, JRF, Rajiv Gandhi National, Basic scientific Research etc. are availed by the students in the campus.
With a proud history of academic excellence, creating an intimate atmosphere and inspiring life changing research, this campus offers the perfect combination of Indian heritage and modern science.
The upliftment of the women of our country through education has always been an integral part of the policies of Gurukul Kangri Vishwavidyalaya (GKV). In order to fulfill this aim, Kanya Gurukul Campus (KGC) was set up in 1923, at Dehradun by great martyr Acharya Guru Ramdevji, as a center for women’s education and was recognized as the second campus of Gurukul Kangri Vishwavidyalaya by UGC in 1986.
Although the foundation of the institute was grounded with a few courses and subjects only, but now, it offers technical and professional courses to fulfill the requirements of the current age. KGC is situated in the foothills of the Himalayas covering a land area of 9,000 sq feet. The erudite faculty of KGC consists of twenty seven teachers. Four
The natural and spiritual environment offered at KGM helps students embody the essence of life and prepares them to face the world in a better way.